Sunday, January 01, 2006

Exercise is an anti-depressant

I look back on the last post and wonder how I could have been so negative, but then I just finished my workout about an hour ago, so I'm all endorphin-y.

I'm not really losing weight with this workout, but then that's not what it's for. I don't really have that much fat on my body, maybe ten or fifteen pounds extra. What I want to do is get stronger, fitter, and look better. I have to look at this body, it might as well be something I don't cringe at when I look in the mirror.

I haven't been doing this for long... eight weeks, I think? I have already noticed all kinds of great effects on my body.

I laugh more readily. I also cry more readily, but I think that's a good thing most of the time.

My stomach muscles hold my gut in "naturally" all day... I don't have to "suck it in".

I tried jogging to the grocery store the other day. I made it the whole way (about 300 yards) without getting winded... six months ago I wouldn't have been able to manage 50 yards.

Now I won't say that I'm "fit" yet... I have a long way to go. But the benefits I have found from just a few weeks of exercise have been dramatic.

Why didn't anyone tell me that the changes would come so quickly?

1 comment:

Pixie Puck said...

Congrats on the progress!

Don't get upset if it stops going so quick, though, things tend to plateau, which means you'll have to work harder. Its like getting stoned, the more you do it the more you need, but I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Keep it going and if you can, try doing some swimming, its really greta for a full body work out and really good for building stamina for running, usually what the football team does in the off season to keep in shape. And its fun!